Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Time waits for no one - job apps!

So despite the peaceful start to this semester, it is about to get really busy. As you all know, I am in a ONE YEAR Masters program, which means that I need to start finding a job NOW! Everyone has a different starting point and mine happened a while ago when I first visited the career counselor in the fall. I started with the basics of refreshing my resume and my cover letter. John, my career counselor, has been great in helping me edit my documents and recommending networking opportunities to attend.

I am also taking a professional development class, which is focusing on helping us understand the jargon that comes with job applications and the nuances that we should look out for. Ross, our program manager, is teaching the class and it has been enlightening to hear different student's perspectives and insights on the job market and the interpretation of some job requirements and criteria.

I have started looking for jobs now, mainly in California. The search has been fruitful, but the key is determining if I am qualified for the position and if I will be successful in that position and setting. It's been a long process and I hope to send out my first few applications soon. My hope is to secure a position before I graduate so I can get started right away doing the things I love.

Having just started Spring semester, I know already that the next few months will be extremely different than fall semester. Now on top of the classes and the assistantships and the social life, I will add job search to the mix. I will be busy and overwhelmed until graduation, but the materials I am learning and the experiences of this graduate program has been extremely rewarding and self-enlightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment