Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Comprehensive Exam

IT IS OVER! I have turned in my comprehensive exam for the Master's program yesterday and I felt something just being lifted from my shoulders. So to explain the comprehensive exam (or what we like to call it, Comps) without divulging too many secrets, here is how the exam works.

For the Higher Education Master's program, we all have to take Comps sometime in February. We do not have to write a thesis or build a portfolio, instead we get this exam. The exam is essentially a take home paper. We would get the topics Friday and turn in the paper no later than Monday afternoon. Some may argue about the benefits and usefulness of this exam, but I see it as a pressure test and a rite of passage. 

Everyone has a process to prepare for big papers or exams like this. I will share with you all a little bit about my process. Having gone through a full semester of classes and a month or so into the Spring semester, I felt prepared to answer the questions in a thoughtful manner. Comps preparation is definitely different for everyone, but I found myself taking some time to go for a short walk every time I needed a break. I took my time and went on multiple walks and exercised every morning to get my mind off of the prompt. I felt that by distancing myself from the exam every now and then was good so I didn't get sick and tired of the same question for the entire weekend. 

All I can say is...TRUST YOUR PROCESS. I made sure I wasn't too psyched out about the test and went through my usual process. Now all I can do is wait for the results and hope that I pass! 

No comments:

Post a Comment