Monday, November 4, 2013

Preparing for winter - California version

It is getting cold! For those of you who just started reading my blogs, I grew up in California pretty much all of my life and I have never been through a full "east coast" winter.

It was really exciting for me to start planning for the cold weather. My cohort members were really nice in guiding me on what I need to get before winter officially hits. I learned so much just from listening to the suggestions (what do you mean my beanie from California is not warm enough?) (What is long johns?) (scarves??) It was the perfect time for everyone to poke fun at this California kid, but hey, I took it as a sign of love. My cohort members truly care for me and want me to be prepared.

I invested in my first heavy duty winter coat (water proof, wind proof, everything proof). I only knew one brand, North Face, because several of my friends back home actually love that brand. Through cohort recommendations I learned about different brands such as Marmot, Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS), etc. There is a secret part of me that loves to shop so learning about these brands was definitely a fun experience. I ultimately decided on a EMS jacket (because I am on a grad student budget and these jackets are REALLY REALLY expensive). I have to say though, I am excited to start wearing that beast of a jacket.

EMS 3-in-1 jacket! It's a beast!

Anyway, I can say with confidence that I am ready for this winter. I got my gloves, earmuffs, winter jacket, long sleeves to layer, and everything. The last thing I am waiting for is a pair of boots that is coming in the mail soon. That is another thing that I have never owned prior to coming to UPenn, BOOTS!

Needless to say, I am quite excited for winter! Let's see if this enthusiasm will last :)


No comments:

Post a Comment