Friday, November 1, 2013

Reflecting on the past 10 weeks

I saw my other colleagues have done some reflection on this semester so I have decided to recap everything that has happened this semester and do a little reflecting myself :D

We have passed the halfway point and are now in the midst of grad school! No more honeymoon period! As you all can see, we have already experienced several moments of high stress (struggle bus), but we have all persevered.

That is probably my theme for the first half of this semester, transition and perseverance

The first few weeks into the school year was transition transition transition. Not only was I meeting new friends left and right (and even more later down the road), I also had to prepare myself mentally for class and the endless readings. The unspoken  was also getting my apartment ready so it's LIVABLE. That meant grocery shopping and getting everything ready so I can actually cook and survive in my apartment. Knowing that I cannot live off ramen and eating out everyday, I made a conscious effort to try to cook a few times each week. One of my cohort members, Thammika, introduced me to the CSA vegetable shares and so that got me eating some sort of veggies each week (because keeping fit and healthy was also something that is on the back of everyone's mind). Grad School 15? That definitely exists!!! It may seem like a whirlwind of things to get used to, but it was also a fun and exciting times. If I had to go back in time, I would NOT change my approach at all. I genuinely enjoyed everything that has transpired, from the friends I have met to the classes I have taken. I think coming in with an open mind and an open heart definitely contributed to my perseverance to continue working hard and learning new things everyday.  

Perseverance...after those few weeks of transition have passed, it is time to get into the thick of things and start grinding it out! Like I mentioned in my previous blogs, there will be difficult times when 3 papers will be due and sleep will be a rare commodity. There will also be times when you have to choose between social events and staying home to write the next big paper. It all comes down to time management. I have talked to some of my cohort members and revisited the ideas of WHY we came to Penn GSE in the first place and what our motivations and aspirations are. I am glad to have those conversations again because it reaffirms all the hard work I have done so far and it encourages me to continue soaking up all of the knowledge and experience here at Penn.

It's a one year program and time will fly by; how you utilize your time here will define your experience here at Penn GSE. My advice?

Come excited with an open mind/heart and a purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment