Friday, September 13, 2013

First weekend of exploration

Hi everyone,

This is a quick turnaround since I forgot to publish my last post! (ooopsies) I want to talk about my adventures this past weekend when my girlfriend and her mom came to visit. We went to several Philadelphia hotspots and I would like to share with you all the experiences! (pics to come later!)


INDEPENDENCE HALL
We embarked on our adventure first to Independence Hall. I also took my parents to this place and I felt it was a very good introduction to the history of Philadelphia. We walked through the visitor's center to collect our tickets into the independence hall and walked around the perimeter. We visited liberty bell (SPOILER ALERT: it's smaller than you think!). and walked all the way to Betsy Ross's house (a bit of a walk, but worth it!). Independence hall always includes a tour and a speaker who explains the significance of the rooms inside. It is amazing to hear and feel the history inside the building where important documents were signed so long ago (Can you guess which document I am referring to?).

CHEESESTEAKS
After our walks and tour of independence hall, we decided to take a bus down to the two famous philly cheesesteak places, Pat's and Geno's. With high expectations, we got to the place hungry and eager to compare both places. The lines were a bit long (though it does move fast). My girlfriend and her mom went to Geno's while I went to the Pat's to get our hoagies. I must say...Pat's truly tries to make it as simple and streamlined as possible. They posted some tips when ordering and definitely helped me order my first philly cheesesteak (mushroom pepper cheeseteak wit provolone). After I got my cheesteak, I proceeded to walked across the street to Geno's only to find my girlfriend and her mom frustrated. Apparently Geno's service was a bit mean and the selection of cheeseteaks were also limited. After tasting both cheesesteaks, I could not declare an immediate winner. I would definitely have to revisit Pat's and Geno's a couple more times to get a true sense of whose cheesesteak reigns supreme. But for now....Pat's gets my vote :D

Whew, this is a long post...bear with me!

FRANKLIN INSTITUTE
On Sunday we went to the Franklin Institute, and let me tell you, it is a WONDERFUL PLACE. For those who want to satisfy their inner geeky child, Franklin institute is the perfect place for you. It has hands on experiments (I made paper!). to interesting exhibits like History of Spies. I loved the place and felt at home with all the kids when exploring the different gadgets and exhibits. I especially liked the sports science exhibit where they tested your jumping, throwing, and reaction times. The planetarium shows were cool too, though I usually fall asleep in those because they turn off the lights! (and the chairs are usually so comfy). Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone with a curiosity for hands on science. Now I am determined to visit the other science centers!




No comments:

Post a Comment