Friday, September 13, 2013

LOTS of readings

Hi everyone! It's been a good two weeks since I have moved in to Philly, and the weather is absolutely beautiful. The cohort is super nice and I have met so many friends already. :D

Now time for the reality check. The honeymoon period is over, and the readings and assignments are due next week! Every class requires a lot of reading, and you definitely have to time manage in order to finish all the readings before class and have enough time to write papers and hang out with your cohort. I have made the teensy mistake of putting off readings for a class until the night before only to regret it while I was reading them until 1:30 AM in the morning. The readings are definitely manageable, and most topics are very interesting, but it does take a lot of time to truly digest the information. So take your time and read smart!

Everyone will tell you at the beginning to find a friend (or two) who you can talk to constantly. I definitely believe in that because I know when the classes get really stressful (and I can start to feel it already, slowly), I have someone who knows what I am going through and willing to talk to me.

Another advice I also have during this time (I know, so early in the school year!) is to visit the career center and discuss your plans for the future. As for me, I want to be a practitioner in the Higher Education so I will be looking for a job immediately after graduation. Therefore I need to orient myself with the newest updates regarding job prospects and other opportunities. Going to the career center earl will definitely help you realize your goal early on. If you are like some of my friends who are more interested in academia and research, then you definitely should be looking into talking to professors and joining their research team. Most professors here at Penn are always working on small projects and need research assistants.

No comments:

Post a Comment